Thu, Apr 10, 2014
Each year, Lutheran church bodies throughout Central Europe (Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary) request help from The Lutheran—Church Missouri Synod Office of International Mission through its representative there, through Project Coordinator David Fiala. These church bodies want to reach out to their communities through hosting English Bible Camps. However, they need our help to run these well-attended, popular camps. English language learning is a huge draw in Central Europe, and the camps bring in not only children and their families, who want to support their English language learning, but also youth and adult volunteers from the community who want to increase their English proficiency by working alongside native speakers. Through these VBS-like camps with the added English element, the LCMS and the Lutheran church bodies with whom we work in Central Europe proclaim the Gospel of Christ to hundreds of people who may not otherwise hear it!
Every year, the demand is greater than the workers! There are still many short-term teams needed to help run English Bible Camps in Central Europe for this summer, 2014! Churches or small groups who are looking for a service opportunity for this summer, please consider serving in Central Europe. If you are an individual or you and a few friends are interested in traveling to Central Europe this summer to help, the Office of International Mission (OIM) can connect you with other interested individuals to create a full team.
These short-term teams serve for about 12-14 days and work with a local church to put on the VBS-style camp. Most teams are made up of 5-12 members. Watch this short video to learn more about the work of short-term teams!
Here is the breakdown of what is still needed:
- Hungary: 6 more teams are needed (3 others have been filled). Team size: 8-15 members. Duration: 2 weeks. When? June, July or August.
- Poland: 14 more teams are needed (7 others have been filled). Team size: 5-10 members. Duration: 12 days. When? July or August.
- Slovakia: 3 more teams are needed (1 other has been filled). Team size: 5-10 members. Duration 13-14 days. When? July or August.
Individuals, families, small groups, youth groups, college groups and others who are interested in serving on a team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with “Central Europe Short-Term Teams” in the subject line. You can also contact David Fiala directly with questions at email@example.com. If you have an interest in travel, like working with children, want to serve in some way, or want to “get your feet wet” with missions to assess possible future service as a GEO or Career missionary, then volunteering for a short-term team is a great way to fulfill any of those goals!
- If you are interested in learning more, you can read this story from last year’s Polish camps.
- If you are interested in volunteering, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also call 888-THE LCMS (843-5267) and ask for Mission Recruitment.
Tags: Benjamin Helge, Central Europe, Czech Republic, David Fiala, English Bible Camps, English language, Gospel, Hungary, Melissa Karges, mission, missionary, Poland, Sarah Berta-Somogyi, serving, Short Term Teams, Slovakia, teams, VBS, volunteers