**Please note the changes in red below. The Leipzig Liest event was incorrectly entered into the church bulletin, and therefore originally incorrectly listed here. Please note the change of date and theme.
March 12, 2015: Leipzig Liest Presentation at Die Brücke: Each year, Leipzig holds a large festival called “Leipzig Liest” (or Leipzig Reads). This year, the meeting house of The Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELK) in Germany at Die Brücke in Volkmarsdorf will host a speaker on the theme of “The Family as the School of Life.” The alliance missionary Rev. Hugo Gevers and his staff work often with the underprivileged children and their families of the Volkmarsdorf area where Die Brücke and Lukaskirche are located, so this theme is especially pertinent to their work in the area. The event will be a helpful learning experience, as well as bring in outside individuals interested in it. This will hopefully lead to more interest in both the work of Rev. Gevers, and in the church.
- Learn more about last year’s Leipzig Liest event at Die Brücke.
- Pray that the theme would prove fruitful in Rev. Gevers’ and St. Trinitatisgemeinde’s work with the children of Volkmarsdorf.
The organ of Lukaskirche, which will be part of the renovations taking place. A choir will perform in this space on March 8, 2015.
March 8, 2015: The University of South Dakota Choir sings at Lukaskirche, Leipzig: On Sunday, March 8 at 5:30 PM (17:30), the University of South Dakota choir will sing a selection of pieces at the historic Lukaskirche in Volkmarsdorf, Leipzig. Lukaskirche is the church which the SELK and the LCMS are working together to renovate and to move an existing SELK congregation into the space. One mode of reaching the wider Leipzig populace is choral, recital and other musical activity, especially focusing on proclaiming the Gospel through sacred music.
- Please pray for safe travels for the choir.
- Please pray that the event would be well-attended and would make Lukaskirche, the Divine Services to be held there and the congregation of St. Trinitatisgemeinde more widely known in Leipzig.
March 12-15, 2015: Central European Christian Youth Gathering: This gathering is an international Christian event for high school students from around western Hungary and Czech Silesia led by native speakers of English. We will gather together at the Ordass Lajos Evangélikus Oktatási Központ in Révfülöp, Hungary to explore the Christian faith. The weekend is about discussing faith, asking questions, finding answers, and encouraging new friends in the faith. The event is organized and led by Office of International Mission (OIM) Globally Engaged in Outreach (GEO) missionaries Benjamin Helge and Sarah Berta-Somogyi, along with former GEO missionary and LCMS member Melissa Karges.
- Learn about past retreats.
- Pray for the missionaries and students, that the weekend would be full of encouragement in the Gospel and in Christian friendships.
March 29, 2015: Second English-Language Service in Győr, Hungary: After 6 years of serving in Hungary, GEO missionary Sarah Berta-Somogyi has been able to organize an English-Language Divine Service for the expats and other English speaking community in the area, as well as interested English-language learners, a need she has seen since the beginning of her service. Fellow LCMS Missionary Rev. Rex Rinne will visit every 6 weeks to hold the service. The first was held on Feb. 22 and a story will run early next week about the first service here on The Eurasia Blog. Please pray for the second service as Rev. Rinne and Sarah work together to make people aware of it, and to provide them with Word and Sacrament opportunities in English.
- Pray for the Rinnes as they travel throughout the region to assist with opportunities like this.
- Pray for Sarah as she shares about this new opportunity with the community around her.
- Check the Eurasia Blog on Monday for the story about the first service!