Each month, we’ll let you know what is coming up in our region, and we ask that you keep these events in your prayers. Also, adding them to the Prayers of the Church at your home church is much appreciated! Here are just some of the Upcoming Events for the Eurasia Region this September.
September 6, 2015: Leipzig SELK Congregation Divine Service to be Featured on Television
On Sunday, September 6, the congregation of St. Trinitatisgemeinde (Holy Trinity Lutheran), a member of partner church body The Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany (SELK) will be featured on German television station MDR. MDR broadcasts on church service per week, and gives only one or two spots to “free churches” not associated with the state church. St. Trinitatisgemeinde has been chosen for this. Special music will be played by Rev. Dr. Christopher Ahlman, the LCMS Career Missionary assisting parish pastor Rev. Markus Fischer with this church’s relocation to Lukaskirche. After the service, pastors and members will be available for on a special telephone number for questions from viewers.
- Pray that this would be an opportunity to show many who may not otherwise see it solid Lutheran worship practice and Law/Gospel preaching.
- Add this event to the prayers of the Church on Sunday, August 30.
- Pray that viewers would hear clearly the Gospel proclamation.
- Give wisdom to those members and the pastors who will be taking calls so that they may sincerely answer questions and speak the truth in love to callers.
- Learn more about St. Trinitatisgemiende, Rev. Ahlman, and the Lukaskirche Project.
September 9, 2015: English Talk Group Resumes Weekly Meetings
As school begins, so many other activities resume their place in students’ lives. Our Wednesday night English Talk Group (ETG) will resume weekly meetings here in Havířov-Šumbark, Czech Republic. Students come from around the city to speak in English, play games, eat snacks, discuss a weekly theme, and hear the Gospel message. Our first theme, “Press Play,” will lead us to discuss our summer vacations, the beginning of school, and how our life truly begins when we know Jesus Christ as Saviour. We pray God continues to grow and strengthen the relationships already formed through ETG and that He would bring new students to our weekly gatherings. (From GEO Missionary Benjamin Helge).
September 10-13: International Lutheran Youth Rally, Wittenberg, Germany
The Old Latin School will host the “International Lutheran Youth Rally 2015” from Sept. 10-13, and Rev. David Mahsman, LCMS Career Missionary Managing Director of the International Lutheran Society of Wittenberg (ISLW) will be one of the two major presenters. The event for young adults is organized by Jonathan Flor, a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of England (ELCE, a partner church body). He writes: “We are expecting around 30 people from different countries (England, Portugal, Spain, Denmark and Switzerland).”
The timetable will include devotions every day in the morning and evening and also two main studies…The first one will about the Reformation History and its impact in the 16th century, which will be led by Pastor Claudio Flor (London). The second one [led by Rev. Mahsman] will be about Lutheranism today…It would also be an opportunity for [Rev. Mahsman] to share with us a little bit of the work of the International Lutheran Society of Wittenberg and the preparations for the 500th anniversary in 2017.
Devotions based on the theme of Here I Stand will be led by young adults from several different countries. A Divine Service will be held on the final day of the Rally.
- Please pray for these young adults, that they would be strengthened in the Lutheran faith through worship, teaching and life together.
- Pray that their meeting together would also be a witness to the people of Wittenberg, the majority of whom do not attend church.
- Please add this event to the Prayers of the Church on Sunday, September 6.
As almost 1/3 of Trinity Lutheran Church is under the age of 18, Sunday school classes are vital to teaching the children the faith, getting them interacting with their peers, and inviting them to be part of the life of the church. This year’s confirmation class will begin a two-year journey for (currently) 4 students and their leaders. (From Director of Christian Outreach GEO Missionary, Kendra McNatt).
We are celebrating the start of the school year and swapping stories from the summer as we begin the year together. Trinity Youth hosts monthly events that encourage fellowship, fun, an introduction to the faith, and an opportunity to invite friends to join us. (From Director of Christian Outreach GEO Missionary, Kendra McNatt).
- Pray for this event in the Prayers of the Church on Sunday, September 13 and September 20.
- Pray that the youth would find strength in their relationships with one another, Pastor Wayne Braun, and DCE Kendra McNatt, so that they may continue to grow in faith and be witnesses to others.
- Pray that the monthly events would strengthen the youth, as well as help to bring friends into the fold of the Church.