February 2: On Sunday, February 2nd, students and faculty of Westfield House will travel to Our Savior Lutheran Church in Fareham, Hampshire, England, nearly on the south coast of Great Britain. Our Savior is a congregation of LCMS partner church The Evangelical Lutheran Church of England (ELCE). The students and faculty will help lead the service. Afterward, they will stay for a meal with the members. The students and faculty of Westfield House, the theological house of studies for the ELCE, participate in what they call Westfield House Sundays approximately five times throughout the year.
- To learn more about Westfield House, you can read this recent article.
- Please include this event in your prayers over the coming days!
- To support Westfield House, you can visit The Friends of Westfield House website.
February 2–14: Mid-Term New Missionary Orientation begins on February 2nd and runs through February 14. Deaconess Ashley Prothro, serving at Westfield House, Cambridge, will be attending orientation, as well as many other new missionaries who will be deployed across the world! The staff of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod Office of International Mission (OIM) at the International Center in St. Louis, MO, organizes and hosts this event. They work hard to make sure that all the logistics, training, and preparation are in order for as smooth a transition to the field as possible.
- Please pray for Deaconess Ashley Prothro as she travels to the U.S. for New Missionary Orientation.
- Please pray for all new missionaries, that their orientation time would be fruitful, encouraging, and bond them together as a support to one another.
- Pray for the staff of the International Center’s OIM, that they may have strength as they put on this intensive two week orientation, and that all things may go smoothly.
- Add this event to the prayers of the church for Sunday, February 2nd, and Sunday, February 9th!
February 7: The Youth of Trinity Lutheran Church, Frankfurt, Germany will host a Valentine’s Mystery Dinner for the congregation on February 7. Dinner will be served, as well as a few surprise activities! This is a great way to foster interaction and friendship between many different ages. Such events are an expression of our Life Together!
- Please add this event to the Prayers of the Church for Sunday, February 2nd.
- To learn more about Trinity Lutheran Church, click here.
February 16: Hauptgottesdienst and Jahresthema Seminar at Lukaskirche, Leipzig, Germany. As the new theme for the year begins, the congregation of St. Trinitatisgemeinde will hold services at Lukaskirche on Sunday, February 16. Afterward, there will be an introduction to this year’s new theme: “You are a letter from Christ” from 2 Corinthians 3:3. The congregation and other attendees will then be able to break into small groups to discuss the theme. A luncheon will follow.
- You can read more about the new theme for this year here.
- Please add this event to the prayers of the church on Sunday, February 9 at your congregation!
- Last week’s Eurasia Blog Wednesday Devotion focused on the 2 Corinthians passage used for the theme. You can click on this link to read it!
February 17–21: During this week, a Music program for children at Die Brücke, Leipzig, in cooperation with “Kultur macht Stark” (Culture creates Strength), will take place in Leipzig, Germany. This is part one of a two part program in cooperation with “Kultur macht Stark.” Die Brücke is the meeting house associated with Selbständige Evangelisch-Lutherisch Kirche (SELK) congregation, St. Trinitatisgemeinde. The program is designed for under-served children, both German children on governmental assistance, and migrant children whose families have emigrated to Germany. The organization, “Kultur macht Stark” chose Die Brücke’s children’s program because of the diversity in the children that Die Brücke serves. The children will work with teachers to learn about rhythm by playing drums during the week-long course. LCMS Missionary Rev. Dr. Christopher Ahlman will assist in the program as needed.
- On Sunday, February 16, please include this week-long event in the Prayers of the Church! Please pray that the children will learn and grow not only in music and socialization, but also in faith and understanding.
- Learn more about Die Brücke.
February 24–28: The second part of the program with “Kultur macht Stark” is a horseback riding program for children from Die Brücke. These children would likely never have such an opportunity apart from the work of Die Brücke and “Kultur macht Stark.” The idea is that working with these programs will expand the children’s learning, awareness, experiences and world-views. It also gives them a chance for artistic expression, as well as physical exercise through cultural activities.
- Please pray for this event in the Prayers of the Church on Sunday, February 23.
- Pray that the children will see God in Christ at work through the pastors, missionaries and volunteers associated with Die Brücke.
Tags: Christopher Ahlman, Deaconess Ashley Prothro, Die Brücke, ELCE, Frankfurt, Gevers, LCMS, leipzig, Lukaskirche, New Missionary Orientation, OIM, Trinity Lutheran Church, Upcoming events, Westfield House, youth